Thursday, September 10, 2009

Marshall University

Marshall University

Photobucket
Everyone knows that I'm a big GINORMOUS fan of Mathew McConaughey, and also a fan of one of his better movies, "We Are Marshall."  In March of 2007, I flew to Lexington, KY to attend a baby shower of one of my best friends, Jessica Williamson.  At the time, Jessica was living in North Carolina, so following her baby shower I helped her load her things from her Mom's house and I took a road trip back to Greensboro, NC with her.  Along the way, we passed through Virginia and West Virginia.  Knowing that Marshall University was in West Virginia, I BEGGED til I had the voice of a mute for her to stop and let me stand on the grounds of that University.  Now may I remind you, I was begging someone with some massive pregnancy hormones brewing, but somehow, in her kind, pregnant heart, she found it in her to drive 5 extra minutes for me to witness the University first hand.  I must admit, it was very moving...
November 14, 1970 ... Remembered

Memorial of the 1970 Marshall University Football Team Plane

The event that touched so many peoples lives:
On a rainy hill side in Wayne County, West Virginia, the lives of 75 people were lost in the worst single air tragedy in NCAA sports history. Among the losses were nearly the entire Marshall University football team, coaches, flight crew, numerous fans, and supporters. The event marked a boundary by which an entire community would forever measure time... before or after "The Crash". I've decided to write this blog in memorial to the lives that were lost on that evening; to honor those men and women who made a mark in the hearts of a school, a community and a nation.  It just goes to show you how much can be lost, and how much it takes to bring a community back together, not to mention, a whole team.  What's a team without it's players?





In 2006, more than 35 years later, Warner Bros. produced a feature film about the crash and Marshall's struggle to field a team in the ensuing years - "We Are Marshall" - If you haven't seen it, go out and get it, it's truly touching, and not to mention, Mathew McConaughey is just truly amazing to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment