Monday, September 21, 2009

Asparagus/Mushroom Lasagna

MUSHROOM-ASPARAGUS LASAGNA

I'm a sucker for asparagus...so much that I may name my future son/daughter, "Asparagus".  I found this AMAZING aparagus/mushroom lasagna recipe a while back (I think it was from Snyder Cookbook) in my quest to finding a good aparagus casserole (I'm also a sucker for casseroles).  I will forever be looking for more recipes like this one that include asparagus...stay tuned for more fun aparagus recipes that I have in my secret box, including the famous "Asparaguay"!
Ingredients:
  • 11 lasagna noodles
  • 2 pounds asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces (or you can buy them already cut in a can if you prefer)
  • 1 pound mushrooms, sliced or chopped
  • 2 cans (14 ounces) chicken broth
  • Enough milk, soy milk or cream added to broth to equal 4 cups
  • ½ cup flour
  • ¾ cup shredded Parmesan, divided (dry)
  • 1 tsp lemon pepper
  • 2-4 cups mozzarella cheese

Directions:

  1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease 13x9 inch pan.. Cook noodles ONLY 4 minutes. Boil asparagus 2 to 4 minutes, depending on how large it is, or until crisp-tender; drain. (Skip boiling the asparagus if you go with the canned version) 
  2. Bring three cups of broth/milk mixture to a boil. Mix remaining broth with ½ cup flour, add to boiling broth mixture, return to boiling, stirring constantly, until thick. Stir in 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and lemon pepper.
  3. Spread about 3/4 cup of the white sauce in baking dish. Top with 3 noodles (adding a cut noodle to the ends to fill the pan), 1 cup of white sauce, half mushrooms, half asparagus and 1 cup or a little more--maybe another half cup--mozzarella cheese, top with three noodles and cut pieces, 1 cup sauce, remaining mushrooms and asparagus and 1 cup (or more) mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining 3 noodles and cut pieces. Push everything down well. Add remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup Parmesan cheese and extra mozzarella cheese--I added a cup more--, if using.
  4. Bake covered for 45 minutes and then uncovered for about another 15 minutes until it is hot and bubbly in the middle. If the sauce and noodles are hot then the baking time will be a bit less.

1 comment:

  1. Ummm,this looks incredible. I'm going to make it!

    ReplyDelete